These malty fruit bars are high in energy and are perfect for long bike and gym sessions. Bursting with dried fruit and a touch of malt extract for a distinctive flavour. They are also a good source of fibre and suitable for vegetarians.
Self Raising Flour 200 g
All Spice 1 g
Ground Cinnamon 1 g
Margarine 175 g
Brown Sugar 150 g
Malt Extract 20 g
Eggs 200 g
Raisins 175 g
Currants 250 g
Glace Cherries 50 g
Dates 50 g
Sultanas 200 g
Orange Juice 55 g
Walnuts 50 g
Icing Sugar 20 g
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C or Gas Mark 3.
2. Put the flour and spices together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, using an electric whisk cream together the margarine, the sugar and the malt extract, until pale and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoon of flour with each egg.
5. Fold in the remaining flour and then fold in the fruit and orange juice.
6. Pour the mixture into a tin, smooth the surface and arrange the nuts on top.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer pierced through the centre comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack, sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into bars when cool.
9. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
Click on symbols to view recipes by allergens
Click on symbols to view recipes by lifestyle
Click on symbols to view recipes by energy code
Submit a review