These malty fruit bars are high in energy and are perfect for long bike and gym sessions. Bursting with dried fruit and a touch of malt extract for a distinctive flavour. They are also a good source of fibre and suitable for vegetarians.
Self Raising Flour 200 g
All Spice 1 g
Ground Cinnamon 1 g
Margarine 175 g
Brown Sugar 150 g
Malt Extract 20 g
Eggs 200 g
Raisins 175 g
Currants 250 g
Glace Cherries 50 g
Dates 50 g
Sultanas 200 g
Orange Juice 55 g
Walnuts 50 g
Icing Sugar 20 g
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C or Gas Mark 3.
2. Put the flour and spices together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, using an electric whisk cream together the margarine, the sugar and the malt extract, until pale and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoon of flour with each egg.
5. Fold in the remaining flour and then fold in the fruit and orange juice.
6. Pour the mixture into a tin, smooth the surface and arrange the nuts on top.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer pierced through the centre comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack, sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into bars when cool.
9. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
Submit a review