A hearty healthy recipe for Spiced Lentil Dahl. With yellow split lentils, butternut squash and spinach, this recipe makes the perfect family supper, and is a great vegetarian source of protein!
Yellow Split Lentils 250 g
Red Chilli 10 g
Butternut Squash 200 g
Rapeseed Oil 10 ml
Broccoli 125 g
Cumin Seeds 1 g
Coriander Seeds 1 g
Mustard Seeds 5 g
Garlic 10 g
Spinach 100 g
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Rinse the yellow split lentils in cold water to remove excess starch.
3. Add them to a pot with cold water, 1 part lentils to 6 parts water.
4. Bring to a simmer and use a spoon to remove the foam that develops as they cook.
5. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until soft. Then, coarsely puree them with a stick blender. Chop the red chilli and stir it into the lentils.
6. While the lentils are cooking, peel the butternut squash with a knife, remove and discard the seeds, and cut into small chunks.
7. Roast in the oven on an oiled baking tray for about 10-12 minutes, adding the broccoli after 5 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
8. Add a little oil to a frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until it starts to colour.
9. Now add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and the garlic. Cook for approximately 2 minutes.
10. Stir the spinach into the lentils, along with the butternut and broccoli.
11. Place into a bowl and finish by topping with the onion mix.
Submit a review