Now you can enjoy the tastes and delights of chilli con carne, but without the meat! Bulgur is a cereal food made from many different wheat species, and can be used to substitute rice or couscous, it works very well to thicken up the chili to make a delicious wholesome hearty meal.
Water 510 ml
Bulgar Wheat 70 g
Olive Oil 20 ml
Onion 240 g
Garlic Clove 12 g
Carrots 140 g
Courgettes 175 g
Red Pepper 150 g
Butternut Squash 175 g
Chilli Powder 20 g
Cumin 6 g
Oregano 5 g
Passata 800 g
Kidney Beans 800 g
Salt 1 g
Pepper 1 g
1. Bring water to a boil and add the bulgar to the pan, stir, then cover.
2. Continue to cook for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Drain the excess water after 20 minutes or when the bulgar has plumped up like rice or pasta. Set aside.
4. In a large heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil. Sautee the onion until translucent and stir in the garlic.
5. Add the carrots, courgette, peppers and squash. Continue sauteeing the vegetables until softened.
6. Add the chilli powder, cumin and oregano, and toss to coat. Stir in the tomatoes and kidney beans. Lower the heat and cover.
7. Cook for about 15-20 minutes. Add the bulgar wheat and combine.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Submit a review