This vegetarian version of the traditional meaty cassoulet with crispy, herby breadcrumb and parmesan cheese topping is a perfect weekend get-together dish. It is also low in saturated fat and salt.
Olive Oil 20 ml
Onion (chopped) 480 g (2 large units)
Pumpkin (deseeded, peeled and diced) 500 g
Parsnips (diced) 500 g
Garlic Cloves (crushed) 15 g
Mixed Beans (drained) 850 g
Tomatoes 780 g
Red Wine 225 ml
Vegetable Stock (1 unit) (dissolved in water above)
Fresh Thyme 2 g
Sugar 10 g
Parmesan Cheese (grated) 25 g
Fresh Breadcrumbs 75 g
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok, add onions, then fry for 5 mins until golden.
3. Add pumpkin, parsnips and garlic and cook for a further 3 mins.
4. Stir in beans, tomatoes, wine, stock, thyme, sugar and plenty of seasoning.
5. Bring to the boil, then transfer to a large casserole dish, pressing the beans and vegetables beneath the liquid.
6. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Cover, then cook for 40 mins.
7. Uncover, stir well and cook for a further 40 mins.
Submit a review