This homemade brown bread is easy to make and a great option for breakfast or lunch with toppings of your choice. It is also a good source of fibre. The recipe makes two loaves so you can freeze one and defrost when needed.
Plain Flour 340 g
Wholemeal Flour 340 g
Wheat Bran 174 g
Buttermilk 600 ml
Brown Sugar 40 g (2 tbsp)
Egg 150 g (1 large unit)
Margarine 85 g
Bread Soda 5 g (1 tsp)
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Sieve the plain flour and bread soda into a large bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the wholemeal flour, wheat bran and brown sugar.
4. Beat the egg. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten egg. Mix well.
5. Grease two 9 inch loaf tins. Divide your mixture into the two tins.
6. Bake for one hour until brown. Remove from the tins and cool on a wire tray.
Submit a review