Pistou Soup is a hearty French-inspired vegetable soup topped with a delicious dairy-free pesto and takes only half an hour to make. It is also egg-free, wheat free and suitable for vegeterians and vegans.
Olive oil 30 ml
Onion (finely chopped) 150 g
Carrots (peeled and finely chopped) 160 g
Celery Sticks (peeled and finely chopped) 60 g
Fennel Bulb (trimmed and finely chopped) 100 g
Turnips (peeled and finely chopped) 250 g
Celeriac (peeled and finely chopped) 250 g
Parsnip (peeled and finely chopped) 250 g
Water (boiling) 1.5 l
Frozen Peas 140 g
Tinned Haricot Beans 140 g
Large Bunch of Basil 3 g
Garlic clove 5 g (1 Unit)
Extra-virgin Olive Oil 100 ml
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and sweat the onion, carrots, celery, fennel, turnip, celeriac and parsnip for 5-10 mins.
2. Pour over the boiling water, season and simmer for 10-15 mins, until the vegetables are tender.
3. At the last moment add the peas and the beans and cook for a further 1 min.
4. Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
5. Meanwhile, make the pesto sauce: blanch the basil leaves in boiling water for 5 secs, then remove and cool under cold running water. Pat dry and blend all the ingredients in a liquidizer. Taste and season, then reserve. Keep in the fridge until required.
6. When ready to serve, pour the soup into a large, warmed tureen, top with some of the pesto sauce and serve to your guests.
Submit a review