An easy recipe for classic pea soup flavored with lovage (can be described as a mix of celery and parsley). This is a low fat and salt dish, suitable for vegetarians and coeliac friendly.
Peas 2 kg (plus 8 whole pods to decorate)
Unsalted Butter 100 g
Spring Onions (chopped) 175 g
Garlic (crushed) 5 g (1 unit)
Vegetable Stock 1 l
Creme Fraiche 100 g
Lovage 10 g
1. Shell the peas, leaving 8 of the best-looking ones whole. Melt half the butter in a large pan, then gently cook the spring onions and garlic with the lid on for 5 minutes, without colouring.
2. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then add the peas and whole pods and simmer for 2-3 mins until tender.
3. Fish out the whole pods and refresh under cold water. Tip in the creme fraiche and the fresh lovage and blitz with a hand blender until smooth.
4. Season to taste. Leave to cool, then chill in the fridge if serving cold.
5. If you're eating the soup hot, bring to a gentle simmer but don't boil. To serve, ladle into bowls, decorate each with a whole, split pea pod.
Submit a review