Classic dessert for special occasions with a universal appeal!
Apple (6 units) 670 g
Pear (4 units) 540 g
Lemon Juice 20 ml
Honey (3 tbsp) 30 ml
Mixed Spices 3 g
Cornflour (1tbps) 10 g
Filo pastry sheets (4 units) 450 g
Rapeseed Oil (2 tbsp) 20 ml
Flaked Almonds 25 g
Custard (ready made) (125 ml)
1. Peel, core, and chop the apples and pears into large pieces, and throw into a big saucepan with the lemon juice, honey, mixed spice and 200 ml water.
2. Bring to a simmer with the lid on, then take off the lid and cook, stirring, for about 5 mins until the apple is softening. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out three-quarters of the fruit chunks and put into a pie dish. Cover and cook the remaining fruit for another 4-5 mins until soft, then mash with a potato masher.
3. Mix 1 tbsp of this with the cornflour to a smooth paste, then add back to the pan and bring back to a simmer, stirring, to thicken the sauce. Pour over the fruit in the pie dish and stir together. Heat oven to 180 C/160 C fan/gas 4.
4. Lay out your sheets of filo and brush all over with oil, 1 tsp should be enough for 1 sheet. Scatter over the almonds and press to stick to the pastry, then crumple up each sheet as you lift it on top of the fruit.
5. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is browned and crisp. Serve straight away with a dollop of the custard.
Submit a review