Molluscs are a good source of protein and minerals and cooking them with tomato sauce and white wine makes this recipie irresistible! This dish is low fat and low salt and so might be a heart-healthy option!
Spaghetti 175 g
Clams 500 g (in the shell)
Tomato Sauce 200 g
White Wine 10 ml
Olive oil (1 tbsp) 10 ml
Garlic Clove (finely crushed, 1 unit) 5 g
Parsley 5 g
Black Pepper 1 g
Parmesan (to serve) 10 g
1. Boil the kettle, then three-quarters fill a large pan with boiling water. Add some salt, the water will seethe, then coil in the spaghetti. Simmer, uncovered, for 12 mins or according to pack instructions.
2. Meanwhile, to cook the clams, firstly bring a large sauce pan of water to the boil. Add the clams and cover. Continue to boil for a further 4-5 minutes, checking the clams for opening as you go. Finally, drain the water and discard the clams with unopened shells. Carefully remove the meat from the opened shells and set aside.
3. Next, to make the sauce. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the garlic for 1-2 minutes. Then add the white wine and the tomatoes and bring to the boil.
4. Simmer for a few minutes while you coarsely chop the parsley, then stir into the sauce, grind in a good amount of black pepper, and add the cooked clams.
5. Drain the spaghetti and tip into a warmed bowl. Pour in the sauce and toss well.
6. Serve at once, with grated parmesan scattered.
Submit a review