Cater for Diabetic Customers
Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a metabolic disorder involving chronic high blood glucose levels (hyperglycaemia). The disease is characterised by disturbances to carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism resulting from defects of insulin action and secretion. Over 90% of adults with diabetes have type 2 DM (T2DM) and the disease is currently estimated to affect 5% of Irish adults (the true prevalence of which may be substantially higher due to undiagnosed disease).
Dietary managment of diabetes is not simply about reducing sugar intake - there are a range of additional factors to take into consideration, factors which can be capitilised on by your food business. As a food business owner, you have a significant role to play in helping this consumer sector and implementation of the following tips offers a unique marketing opportunity:
- Offer fresh and seasonal fruit as a dessert option or natural yogurt mixed with chopped fruit or a small handful of nuts or unsweetened granola.
- Try reducing sugar content in recipes and be careful with low-fat products as many contain a higher sugar content to compensate for the altered taste and texture caused by the fat being reduced/removed.
- Use wholemeal pasta, rice and bread. They have almost the same texture and taste and are more nutrient-rich.
- Increase the fibre content of your salads adding nuts and seeds.
- Use lean meat (or cut off fat), chicken and turkey (without skin), or alternative protein sources such as soya products, beans, lentils and nuts.
- When cooking mince, drain the fat off, and skim the fat off casseroles and stews.
- Offer customers tray-baked, as opposed to deep-fried, chips.
- Chose salad dressings such as yogurt, vinegar, olive oil.
- Reduce the use of salt flavouring and add more herbs and spices to compensate.
healthpro works closely with restaurants, cafes, fast food outlets, hotels and bars nationwide, helping these food providers to make a significant contribution towards the goal of meeting your customer’s nutritional and dietetic needs. healthpro Menu Mentoring® has enabled thousands of menu items across the country to be accurately rebranded as "Low Sugar”, “High Fibre” or “Low in Saturated Fat”. Get in touch with us today on +35386 4119222 or by emailing email@example.com to find out how your business can be a leader in this important area of public health and in turn benefit from a unique marketing opportunity.
Published on 25 July 2018 | Back to July Articles