Roast Pork with Fennel and Rosemary
A delicious and tender meat dish, infused with herb and citrus flavours, ideal as part of a light lunch or as the centre piece of a family meal.
Coeliac-friendly and dairy-free, this dish is also low in fat and sugar. Enjoy!
Ingredients (for 6 servings):
- 1 kg pork roasting joint, such as boned shoulder or loin
- 10 g fennel seeds
- 5 g black peppercorns
- 10 g garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 g salt
- 55 ml orange juice
- 15 g orange zest
- 7 g fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 10 ml olive oil
- 150 g onion, thickly sliced
- 400 ml white wine
- 10 g redcurrant, or other fruit jelly
- 600 ml water
- Crush the fennel seeds and peppercorns coarsely using a mortar and pestle. Add the garlic and salt, and crush again to make a paste. Stir in the orange zest along with the rosemary and oil.
- Rub the paste all over the pork, then cover with foil. You can now cook the pork or leave it covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC / 160ºC for fan-assisted / gas mark 4. Thickly slice the orange and place in the base of a roasting tin with the onion. Put the pork on top and pour 600 ml of water into the tin.
- Roast the joint for 1 hour, add the wine, then roast for 1 hour more. Baste the joint a few times and add a splash more water if necessary.
- Remove the joint from the oven, strain off the juices, tightly cover the joint with foil, then leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour meat juices into a pan, add the jelly and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve. Taste and add seasoning if desired.
- Thickly slice the pork and serve with a little of the juices poured over it.
Our team of experts at healthpro Menu Mentoring® have analysed this dish to give you the following nutrition information;
WF = Wheat Free, GF = Gluten Free, C = Coeliac Friendly, DF = Dairy Free, LF = Low Fat, LSF = Low Saturated Fat, S = Low Sugar, and 1 healthpro symbol = less than 300 kcals / serving
© healthpro / 2014
Published on 3 November 2014 | Back to November Articles